I love coffee. However I’m also conscious that I probably drink a bit too much.
But how much coffee and caffeine am I consuming every day? What kind of impact does it have on me?
While the new app from Jawbone “UP Coffee” might not be able to able to answer these questions with 100% accuracy, it does a pretty good job of trying to.
The app is pretty simple.
You log the coffees and other caffeine beverages that you consume throughout the day (including the time you drank them) and the app calculates how much caffeine is in your system and how soon you’ll be able to sleep:
So after two cups of coffee I should be able to sleep again after 4pm.
The app can hook into your Jawbone UP, if you have one, and if you tie the two together you should be able to access more data about things like your sleep quality. As I’m a Fitbit user I can’t take advantage of those options, but I can still use it to track coffee consumption over time and compare my habits to those of other users.
Of course the problem with this app and most other apps that track food etc., is that you have to remember to log what you consume. Sure, you can go back and add things “after the fact”, but you still need to do it.
The app’s a nice idea and if I was seriously concerned about my coffee consumption or suffered from insomnia I might use it more.. As it is it’s a bit of a fun gimmick.
You can grab the app via the Apple app store.
- Up Coffee is Jawbone’s solution for America’s caffeine addiction (theverge.com)
- ‘UP Coffee’ App Measures Caffeine Consumption, Impact On Sleep: Could An App Help Treat Caffeine Addiction? (medicaldaily.com)
- UP Coffee app helps you track and understand caffeine consumption (flowingdata.com)
- Control Your Caffeine Jitters with the ‘UP Coffee’ App from Jawbone (ireport.cnn.com)
- App helps the caffeine addicts (news.optuszoo.com.au)